Video Conferencing Server Software ... Recommendations ... ?

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Fri Dec 9 08:28:42 PST 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 08:58:35PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Basically, I'm looking for something to run on a remote server, that other
> parties to connect to, create conferences, invite other users into, etc
> ... including full video / audio and, if possible, whiteboard ...
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations that work under FreeBSD?

For IPv4 multicast and partial IPv6 support there are the old mbone
tools like sdr/vic/vat/rat/wbd/wb/nte.  That includes tools for setting
up and advertising conferences, and using audio, video, whiteboard, and
text chat.  Though they might be a little old.  There is also programs
like gnomemeeting, kphone, and other h232 or sip apps for doing
conferencing, but, at least gnomemeeting, isn't as well suited for large
groups.  I haven't used kphone or any other h232 or sip apps.