smartfilter, linux and you

Michael C. Shultz ringworm01 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 11:50:14 PST 2005

On Thursday 08 December 2005 11:38, Jay Desjardins wrote:
>     We are attempting to get Smartfilter (content filter that plugs into
> squid)  to work on FreeBSD 6.0. A while ago, Smartfilter use to come as
> a port for FreeBSD, but after a while they no longer support BSD, only
> Linux and Solaris. I decided that now it's time to upgrade to a new
> version (of Smartfilter and the OS) yet again, I would like to replace
> the Red Had ES 3 server with a BSD box, not a newer RedHat box.
> Smartfilter's content plugin is designed for RHES 4, and I am trying to
> get it to work on 6.0 so I have run into a few problems, most which have
> been overcome, but this one persists.
>     My problem that I am running into now is different then my other
> compiling/library problems. I did a pre-compile on the RHES 4 server,
> and now I am trying to compile squid on the FreeBSD 6.0 box. I can't
> seem to find out what library is missing here. I have done google, did a
> make all -dA and that's all I got down below. The other errors I could
> tell what was missing, this one has me scratching my head. I have tried
> to bypass that file to see what happens, and when I go to install it
> gives me the same missing library "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find" -lbsd on a
> different file. I thought that was interesting to say the least, so I
> know it's used in more then one spot. I have gone to the BSD handbook
> also and went thru the Linux compatibility section to make sure I wasn't
> missing anything. This is a copy of the error message below. What
> direction do you think it would be worthwhile for me to chase? Do you
> have any suggestions?
>
> Thank you for your time
> Jay Desjardins
>
> ranlib libmiscutil.a
> source='ntlmauth.c' object='ntlmauth.o' libtool=no
> depfile='.deps/ntlmauth.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/ntlmauth.TPo'
> depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ../cfgaux/depcomp  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.
> -I../include -I../include -I../include     -g -O2 -Wall -DSMARTFILTER
> -DUNIX -D_REENTRANT -c `test -f ntlmauth.c || echo './'`ntlmauth.c
> rm -f libntlmauth.a
> /usr/bin/ar cru libntlmauth.a ntlmauth.o inet_ntoa.o
> ranlib libntlmauth.a
> Making all in scripts
> Making all in src
> source='cf_gen.c' object='cf_gen.o' libtool=no
> depfile='.deps/cf_gen.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/cf_gen.TPo'  depmode=gcc3
> /bin/sh ../cfgaux/depcomp  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
> -DDEFAULT_CONFIG_FILE=\"/usr/local/squid/etc/squid.conf\" -I. -I.
> -I../include -I. -I. -I../include -I../include     -g -O2 -Wall
> -DSMARTFILTER -DUNIX -D_REENTRANT -c `test -f cf_gen.c || echo
> './'`cf_gen.c
> gcc  -g -O2 -Wall -DSMARTFILTER -DUNIX -D_REENTRANT  -g -o cf_gen
> cf_gen.o -L../lib -lmiscutil -lm -lbsd -lnsl
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lbsd
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /downloads/stuff/squid-2.5.STABLE10/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /downloads/stuff/squid-2.5.STABLE10.

find /usr/ports/*/. | grep pkg-plist | xargs grep libbsd

/usr/ports/devel/./agenda-static-libs/pkg-plist:mipsel-linux/lib/libbsd-compat.a
/usr/ports/devel/./linux_devtools/pkg-plist:usr/lib/libbsd-compat.a
/usr/ports/devel/./linux_devtools/pkg-plist:usr/lib/libbsd.a

Try installing devel/linux_devtools

-Mike