simple shell script

Will Maier willmaier at ml1.net
Thu Dec 8 06:39:30 PST 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 08:16:31PM -0900, Beecher Rintoul wrote:
> Thanks to you both, I missed the background option. Actually it
> just needs to run in the background to log some hits on a free
> webserver that I use for testing. I forget and they will cancel my
> account if there's no traffic for a month. The timeout also looks
> interesting and I'll look into it.

You might want to consider using fetch, wget or curl for this
application, not lynx. A simple cron job to request and download
your webpage (if your webpage was google.com ; )) could be as simple
as:

10  2	*   *	*   /path/to/ftp -o /dev/null http://www.google.com/index.html > /dev/null

Or, using curl:
10  2	*   *	*   /path/to/curl -s http://www.google.com/index.html > /dev/null