Changing maximum number of groups in FBSD - is it feasible?

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at digitaltorque.ca
Wed Dec 7 10:48:21 PST 2005

On 12/7/05, Ian Moore <no-spam at swiftdsl.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm toying with the idea of increasing the maximum number of groups a user can
> belong to on one of my servers - we have a rather complex organisation and
> we're hitting the 15 group limit for some people.

Have you considered cascading groups? That's the normal workaround on
Enterprise Unix systems like HP-UX and Solaris.

Instead of putting everyong in "group", do this instead.

group:*:100:group1,group2
group1:*:101:user1,user2
group2:*:102:user3, user4

Thus, the users are all transitively in group, and you work around the limit.

Mike