Current state of AFS in freeBSD or alternatives.

Craig Ryhorchuk craig.ryhorchuk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 09:03:04 PST 2005

Hi folks,

Is there a working version of AFS server/client for 5.4 ?
I found openafs-1.4.0 for FreeBSD 6.  Currently we're running 5.4 here and
are not sure that we want
to move to 6 yet for production.  The only option for 5.x appears to be
Arla, but I don't know what
the stability of that is and it appears to be focused on the client side.
Is this something I can consider for a production system ?
I also need to manage clients writing to the filesystem and the possibility
of server failure.
AFS appears to not handle this well, or is my interpretation of the docs
wrong ?
This may be getting beyond the scope of this list, but my actual need is for
redundant
fileservers running on FreeBSD.  AFS seems to be the closest thing I can
find, but I have the
feeling that someone had to do this before and maybe they're here.

Thanks,
  Craig