gnome2

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Dec 7 07:54:01 PST 2005

spen wrote:

> Hello all,
> I have installed freebsd 6.0 STABLE in an ACER laptop recently. I
> would like to have gui, so I tried to install from the ports gnome2.
> I have *updated *my ports.
> I tried to run dm, gdm but none worked.
> When I run startx, x windows start but not gnome2.
> I have added to ~/.xsession the line /exec gnome-session /but still
> nothing
> happens.
> I haven't found around the mailing lists a problem like that.
> Does anybody have any idea about it?
> Am I doing anything wrong?
> --spen--

If you wish to use "startx", then the "exec gnome-session" line should
*probably* be in ~/.xinitrc  (at least, that's one way I used to do this).

Possibly more what you want is this in /etc/ttys:

        ttyv0  "/usr/X11R6/bin/gdm"            cons25  on  secure

   which should start gdm on ttyv0 after booting.

IIRC, the *proper* thing to do is to put the GNOME startup
script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/, make sure it's executable, etc.

But, it's been a while since I used GNOME, and development
may well have superseded my knowledge....

Kevin Kinsey

--
Take your Senator to lunch this week.