FreeBSD 6.x / GRE / WCCP / Squid

Alan Garfield alan at fromorbit.com
Tue Dec 6 14:34:07 PST 2005

Hello Cezar,

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 19:48 +0200, Cezar Fistik wrote:
> Just a couple of thoughts.
> Do you realy need that tunnel? Try if it will work without it, maybe
> there's a problem with it.

I've not really got a tunnel. It's just setup as per the Squid docs to
have FreeBSD think it is. The Cisco just sends the packets encapsulated
in gre to the FreeBSD squid box. The tunnel is setup so FreeBSD will
strip the gre headers and present the system with the original
encapsulated packet on the gre0 interface.

I can see the encapsulated packets via tcpdump on gre0, and I can also
see the packets hitting my ipfw fwd rule when I turn logging on for that
rule. But I never see the forwarded packets, they just disappear!

>  Second, can you see your squid in show ip
> wcccp web-cache detail from the cisco?

Yes, the Cisco happily sends the packets and sees the cache.

> Does you squid work without
> wccp?

Yes, the cache works perfectly without issue.

> I mean setting up the host explicitly to use the proxy? I don't
> remember precisely, I did it a long ago, but I think you should use
> wccp version 2 in order to run wccp with squid.

I've not tried version 2, but I will try it now.

> Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Alan.