USB 2.0 (somewhat OT)

Bob Johnson fbsdlists at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 13:22:31 PST 2005

On 12/6/05, Micah <micahjon at ywave.com> wrote:
> Josh Paetzel wrote:
> > Just wondering why USB 2.x support isn't in the GENERIC kernel on
> > 5.4-RELEASE
> >

> Since no one has responded on list:  USB 2.x support seems a little
> buggy in 5.4.  If I leave my computer up long enough I get a usb related
> error and everything reverts to USB 1.x.  Also I recently had some data
> corruption when writing to a USB flash drive with 2.x support enabled.
> I haven't had any time to try and diagnose it to see if it's USB 2.x
> problem, a samba problem, or a flash drive problem.
>
> HTH,
> Micah

The USB 2.0 driver in 5.4R does not work on my Inspiron 7500 (IIRC, it
locks up the system).  It is not ready for prime time - which is
stated in the man page.  I believe the man page for 6.0 has been
updated, so I'm hoping that it will  perform better when I get around
to installing 6.0.  The lack of USB 2 support is beginning to be a
pain.  As much as possible, I use Firewire, but not everything has a
Firewire port.

- Bob