sendmail local-host-names

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Tue Dec 6 10:11:53 PST 2005

> On 2005-12-06 10:54, Charles Howse <chowse at charter.net> wrote:
>> Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

>>> If your local hostnames are listed as names of one of the local IP
>>> addresses in your /etc/hosts, then none is needed.  Sendmail will
>>> discover the local addresses on its own.
>>
>> Not quite sure I understand.
>> Here is /etc/hosts from FreeBSD:
>>
>> [charles at moe:~]$ cat /etc/hosts
>> ::1                     localhost.local localhost
>> 127.0.0.1               localhost.local localhost
>> 192.168.254.4           moe.local moe
>> 192.168.254.4           moe.local.
>> 192.168.254.3           larry
>> 192.168.254.3           larry.local
>>
>> Are you saying that since I have larry.local in /etc/hosts, then I don't
>> need anything at all in local-host-names?
>
> Exactly.  You can see the list of host names which Sendmail considers
> local by running sendmail in "test mode" and expanding the $=w macro to
> see what hostnames it has already "discovered" as local:
>
>     $ echo '$=w' | sendmail -bt
>
> This will print a list of hostnames much like the one shown below:
>
>     flame:/home/keramida$ echo '$=w' | sendmail -bt
>     ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
>     Enter <ruleset> <address>
>>
>     [IPv6:::1]
>     ftp.pc
>     [IPv6:fe80::1]
>     irc.pc
>     flame.pc
>     www.pc
>     mail.pc
>     localhost.localdomain
>     localhost
>     flame
>     [127.0.0.1]
>     ns.pc
>     localhost.pc
>     [IPv6:fe80::211:95ff:feca:e5e8]
>     flame.localdomain
>     freebsd.pc
>>
>     flame:/home/keramida$
>
> If a hostname is listed in the $=w class, then Sendmail has already
> discovered it as "local" and you don't need to add it to
> /etc/mail/local-host-names.
>
>> For clarity, I'm doing local mail only, no Internet mail.
>
> It shouldn't make a big difference, in this case.

Well, OK then!
In the past, I was just *certain* I had to had something in
local-host-names.  Oh, well.  :-)

[charles at moe:~]$ echo '$=w' | sendmail -bt
ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>
[IPv6:::1]
moe
[192.168.254.4]
[IPv6:fe80::1]
[IPv6:fe80::2a0:ccff:fe29:689d]
moe.local
localhost.local
localhost
larry.local
[localhost.local]
local
[127.0.0.1]

[root at moe:~]# rm /etc/mail/local-host-names
[root at moe:~]# killall -HUP sendmail
[root at moe:~]# echo '$=w' | sendmail -bt
ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>
[IPv6:::1]
moe
[192.168.254.4]
[IPv6:fe80::1]
[IPv6:fe80::2a0:ccff:fe29:689d]
moe.local
localhost.local
localhost
[localhost.local]
[127.0.0.1]

[root at moe:~]# mail charles
Subject: test44
hello
.
EOT

[root at moe:~]# mail -u charles
Mail version 8.1 6/6/93.  Type ? for help.
"/var/mail/charles": 1 message 1 new
>N  1 charles at moe.local     Tue Dec  6 12:06  18/636   "test44"
& q
"/var/mail/charles" complete