sendmail local-host-names

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Tue Dec 6 09:40:12 PST 2005

> On 2005-12-06 10:35, Charles Howse <chowse at charter.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to collect mail for FreeBSD user charles on my Mac.
>>
>> The hostname of my FreeBSD box is:
>> moe.local
>>
>> User charles has an account, has been added to the qpopper authentication
>> database, and sendmail_enable="NO" is in /etc/rc.conf.
>>
>> In /etc/mail/local-host-names, I have:
>> moe.local
>> larry.local
>> local
>>
>> It's working, but I think I have too many entries in local-host-names.
>> What entries are necessary?
>
> If your local hostnames are listed as names of one of the local IP
> addresses in your /etc/hosts, then none is needed.  Sendmail will
> discover the local addresses on its own.

Not quite sure I understand.
Here is /etc/hosts from FreeBSD:

[charles at moe:~]$ cat /etc/hosts
::1                     localhost.local localhost
127.0.0.1               localhost.local localhost
192.168.254.4           moe.local moe
192.168.254.4           moe.local.
192.168.254.3           larry
192.168.254.3           larry.local

Are you saying that since I have larry.local in /etc/hosts, then I don't
need anything at all in local-host-names?
For clarity, I'm doing local mail only, no Internet mail.