make buildworld fails from 5.4->6.0

Anthony Philipp philipp1 at uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 5 01:11:48 PST 2005

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade from 5.4 to 6.0. I ran cvsup and tried a make
buildworld, but it failed. So I checked out the handbook and noticed
that it mentioned I should run a mergemaster -p first. So I did that
and I still failed. Here are the last few lines:

: undefined reference to `Buf_AddByte'
var.o(.text+0x2b5e): In function `Var_Dump':
: undefined reference to `Buf_Data'
var.o(.text+0x2ba2): In function `Var_Dump':
: undefined reference to `Buf_Data'
var.o(.text+0x2c31): In function `Var_Print':
: undefined reference to `Buf_Peel'
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/usr.bin/make.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

I've searched the archives and couldn't find anything relating to
this, but hopefully someone knows the answer. Also I have have done
minor version changes before, but never a major one, so maybe I am
just missing a key step.

Thanks in advance!

Anthony Philipp