FreeBSD telnetd and Microsoft Internet Explorer

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sun Dec 4 14:39:11 PST 2005

Actually Peter, I don't even know where the manual setting of IE is
for ftp.  I'm surprised that there is one, and am glad to hear it,
could you tell me where it is, exactly?

>When these are not set (as they do not absolutely-have-to-be with
>other clients) it crashes. The fact that just because you haven't
>bothered about that setting, or PASV etc, doesn't mean the client
>should crash. Under the default setup on IE, nearly every one of those
>sites crashes IE. Now of course it makes sense that if these settings
>haven't been set, that you might get an error message and  have to set
>things right, but not to crash the application every single time
>without a clue as to what went wrong.

That's not my experience with IE 6

Please post these default settings that crash stuff, I'll check my
browser and see if they are set that way.

>Now of course I could take screen shots and get these sites to work
>aswell, believe me it's not some advanced windows knowledge that
>you're claiming ownership  to here, but if you leave the settings on
>defualt, it crashes the browser.

That isn't my experience. I will say my Windows installs are straight
off the MS Select CD's perhaps the defaults on OEM setups are set
stupidly?

> Plain old run of the mill, office and
>home environment set up, it crashes the application. Even microfts own
>ftp site.

No, sorry, not happened with IE 6.

>Oppose this to Firefox's ftp implementatoin which works "out
>of the box", and gives you an error if you need to change something.

I never disputed Firefox.  It's a good brower I use it under
FreeBSD.

>Of course everything crashes, let's not be silly, but to crash
>categorically every time unless you've set it the way it should be, is
>an immature piece of software.

I agree with this, but I'm not seeing this behavior with IE.

>On top of these are problems with standards implementations, in the
>same way that the IE html engine doesn't render in accordance with the
>standards (I can tell you this after having worked full time in web
>design and php/mysql, and the joy you get when you see the way things
>should look, according to standard html and xhtml and css texts, in
>other browsers, but never in IE.)

No question that IE isn't compliant.  But every web designer
knows that it's the majority browser so railing about it, while
cartharic, doesen't change the fact that your going to have to
write to it's rendering stupidity for your customers.

Perhaps if more web designers submitted bug reports to Microsoft
they might actually fix some things?

>But in the end it's just the fact
>that it's crashed in it's default setting in every Windows release
>I've used.

Not my experience.

Ted