Cannot boot with newly compiled kernel, or kernel.old after upgrading to RELENG_6

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sun Dec 4 13:18:43 PST 2005

On Sunday 04 December 2005 12:56 pm, Torgeir Hoffmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks a lot for quick reply.
>
> > Did you copy the 6.0 GENERIC config file into the one your
> > buildkernel
>
> make uses?

Probably GENERIC. I use the equivalent of
make buildkernel KERNCONF=RUBY
make installkernel KERNCONF=RUBY
but I have then built into scripts.

If you have a KERNCONF entry in /etc/make.conf, it uses that. If it was
your 5-stable config file, it used it.

> No, actually I didn't. From what I could see on
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.h
>tml, I didn't think it was necessary.

Everytime they do an upgrade, you need to check it. Options come and go.

I also turned off all of my processes (ports) that normal start such as
apache and boinc-seti. They may run but you need to upgrade them to
ports built on 6-stable.

> >> The error when trying to boot the new kernel makes the system
> >> reboots
>
> after 15 seconds, so I haven't had the opportunity to write that one
> down. However, the error message from when trying: "unload", "boot
> /boot/kernel.old/kernel" I was able to copy down in full (see
>
> >> bottom).
> >
> > You should only load the 5-stable kernel and the boot -s. You have
>
> mixed kernel and userland. You can't expect kernel.old and your
>
> > 6-stable userland to work.
>
> If I understand you correctly, that would mean that even if I haven't
> yet done "installworld", my userland is still 6.0? I'm terribly sorry
> if I wasn't clear on that point.
> Thanks for the boot command - it worked very well.

If you haven't done an installworld, you shouldn't do anything but boot
-s.

You have to finish the install and then you can use the full boot.

> I thought I'd try to cvsup the sourcetree to RELENG_6_0 instead now,
> and then try to recompile. Is that a good idea? I was thinking, since
> installworld hasn't been done yet?

No idea on that. I always do the buildworld, make kernel, boot single
user and installworld and run mergemaster. I have had kernels that
would immediately panic and the boot to single user mode is to catch
them.

You have a new user called _dhcp that needs to be added to group and
master.passwd. Then, you have what seems like 100's of files that need
to be updated using mergemaster.

Kent

> Many thanks,
>
> Torgeir Hoffmann