Questions on disk quota

Edwin edwincheese at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 10:20:19 PST 2005

Hi

I am using FreeBSD 6.0 Release. I have enabled disk quota in kernel,
things look fine but I have some questions:

1. The quota information seems static. It does not update immediately
according to user's disk usage. Is it normal?

2. I found that those quota files are not accessible by non-privileged
user, but normal user should be able to use /usr/bin/quota to check
their own disk quota. In default installation, /usr/bin/quota is own
by root:wheel and have the permission of 555. My solution is chown to
root:operator and make it sgid. I wonder why the default doesn't allow
normal user to access the quota information.

Thank you very much
Edwin