Setting up a print-server

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Sun Dec 4 09:39:57 PST 2005

> lpc status all
>
> ...if the Mac has the lpc command.

That returns no output.

>>> Do you have the Mac's hostname or IP address in /etc/hosts.lpd?
>>
>> Warren,
>> I do now, no joy.
>
> Okay, how about an entry for the Mac in /etc/hosts?  lpd wants a
> resovable hostname.

Yep, that's been there since install.

>> I've told lpd on the FreeBSD box to use "-W" (accept connections on any
>> port), cause the Mac is trying to connect on port 631.
>
> Which implies that cups is still trying to use IPP, not lpd.

The printer(s) are listening on port 515:

FreeBSD$ netstat -an
Active Internet connections (including servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
tcp4       0     48  192.168.254.4.22       192.168.254.3.50213
ESTABLISHED
tcp4       0      0  *.22                   *.*                    LISTEN
tcp46      0      0  *.22                   *.*                    LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  *.515                  *.*                    LISTEN
tcp6       0      0  *.515                  *.*                    LISTEN

FreeBSD$ netstat -a
Active Internet connections (including servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
tcp4       0     48  moe.ssh                larry.50213
ESTABLISHED
tcp4       0      0  *.ssh                  *.*                    LISTEN
tcp46      0      0  *.ssh                  *.*                    LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  *.printer              *.*                    LISTEN
tcp6       0      0  *.printer              *.*                    LISTEN

Here's the printcap from FreeBSD:
# APS1_BEGIN:printer1
# - don't delete start label for apsfilter printer1
# - no other printer defines between BEGIN and END LABEL
HP1100|ljet4;r=300x300;q=medium;c=full;p=letter;m=auto:\
    :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
    :if=/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/HP1100:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/HP1100/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/HP1100/acct:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:
# APS1_END - don't delete this

Note that the only entry in /var/spool/lpd/HP1100/log is:
apsfilter warning: unknown option 'moe.local'

moe.local is my FreeBSD machine's name.