Setting up a print-server

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Sat Dec 3 19:27:48 PST 2005

> On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 13:15:59 -0600
> Charles Howse <chowse at charter.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have the task of setting up a FreeBSD box as a print-server for the lan
>> here at home.
>> I've used FreeBSD for quite a while, but am currently just a little rusty.
>> I was hoping the list members could help me with planning a strategy, and
>> possibly point me to some resources for help.  I have my copies of The
>> Handbook and FreeBSD Unleashed at my side.  :-)
>>
>> The printers are:
>> HP1100 LaserJet (non-postscript, parallel only)
>> Epson Stylus C86 (postscript, USB only)
>>
>> Here is my current list of requirements:
>> My daughter's WinXP Pro SP2 box must be able to print to either printer.
>>
>> My Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.3 box must be able to print to either printer.
>>
>> (I may not know what I'm talking about here, but) I would prefer IP printing
>> as the only means of serving the printers, rather than Samba for serving to
>> Windows, AND CUPS or something else for serving to OS X.
>>
>> The FreeBSD machine is quite capable hardware-wise of doing all this.
>> I have a copy of 4.11-RELEASE, but will be glad to install whatever version
>> makes it easiest to do what I need.
>>
>> Any help = appreciation!
>>
>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Charles
>> google.com/bds
>
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2004/02/05/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

I now have the both printers set up and can print to them from FreeBSD.
Problem is, I can't print to them from the Mac.

The error is always, "Printer HP1100 is busy, trying again in 30 seconds."
I take that to mean the server isn't responding.

Is there a command I can run from the Mac that will tell me if the FreeBSD
box is accepting connections to the printers?

Might there be something I haven't enabled on FreeBSD to allow me to print
across the network?