How often portupgrades?

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Sat Dec 3 17:51:43 PST 2005

On Saturday 24 December 2005 11:29,  the author Kiffin Gish contributed to the
dialogue on-
 How often portupgrades?:

>Just wondering what a good rule of thumb is in how often to run
> portupgrades.
>
>I figure that once a week should be sufficient, however each time it runs it
> can take up to a few hours to complete which seems like an unnecessary
> hassle to me. Once it even started rebuilding the complete gnome port which
> took a couple days!
>
>Is this worthwhile? What are the benefits?
>
>Thanks alot in advance.

You pays yr processing time and makes yr choice :-)

I have been using freebsd for quite a long time and I find that sometimes I am
constantly upgrading a machine which is being used for development something
and then when I just need systems to carry on doing the same thing day after
day I get into the if it aint broke dont fix it mode! Then a new
application/need comes along and the cycle starts over again!

david

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.