Playing through USB speakers in 6.0

Jesse Sheidlower jester at panix.com
Sat Dec 3 11:46:46 PST 2005

Last week I sent the following message:

On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 02:55:44PM -0500, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> I'm running FreeBSD 4.11 on a laptop, and am interested in
> plugging in USB speakers. Is this possible, and if so, what
> do I have to do? There wasn't anything in the Handbook,
> and most things I saw from searching the lists had to do
> with recording audio to a USB device.

Since then I upgraded to 6.0, and took the chance of buying
a pair of USB speakers, which do not work. My USB works, and
the speakers are drawing a current when plugged in, but I do
not get any music through them. (Audio in general works fine;
I can get sound of out the built-in speakers or through
headphones and so forth, but I want to use USB speakers to
avoid batteries or a separate power cord.)

I've googled further but still not found anything helpful.
Is there anything I can do to get these to work?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jesse Sheidlower