Setting up a print-server

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Sat Dec 3 11:18:22 PST 2005

Hi,
I have the task of setting up a FreeBSD box as a print-server for the lan
here at home.
I've used FreeBSD for quite a while, but am currently just a little rusty.
I was hoping the list members could help me with planning a strategy, and
possibly point me to some resources for help.  I have my copies of The
Handbook and FreeBSD Unleashed at my side.  :-)

The printers are:
HP1100 LaserJet (non-postscript, parallel only)
Epson Stylus C86 (postscript, USB only)

Here is my current list of requirements:
My daughter's WinXP Pro SP2 box must be able to print to either printer.

My Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.3 box must be able to print to either printer.

(I may not know what I'm talking about here, but) I would prefer IP printing
as the only means of serving the printers, rather than Samba for serving to
Windows, AND CUPS or something else for serving to OS X.

The FreeBSD machine is quite capable hardware-wise of doing all this.
I have a copy of 4.11-RELEASE, but will be glad to install whatever version
makes it easiest to do what I need.

Any help = appreciation!

--
Thanks,