Trouble upgrading ports collection

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Sat Dec 3 06:18:43 PST 2005

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 03:20:30PM -0800, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> Thanks for the info, is this really the recommended fix???
>
> Remove nvidia-driver port, then upgrade xorg-clients. After that you can
> reinstall nvidia-driver.
>
> I read the above as xorg-clients conflicts with nvidia-driver, if it was set
> this way here is what portmanager would do:
>
> 1) when upgrading xorg-clients finds conflicting port nvidia-driver installed
> and removes it unless user chooses otherwise before 5 minute timeout
>
> 2) Upgrade xorg-clients
>
> Athe this point something would have to have a dependency on nvidia-driver
> for it to be pulled back in automatically else the user is going to need to
> install it manaually...  Well I can see how this situation is causing problems
> anyways.......
>
> Has this issue been resolved yet? From reading your references it seems
> like this fixed the problem with xdriinfo.c:

> State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> State-Changed-By: anholt
> State-Changed-When: Wed Nov 30 01:24:24 GMT 2005
> State-Changed-Why:
> A patch has been committed to fix this.
>
> But I saw no other solution to handling the nvidia port.
>
> -Mike

I agree it seems a trifle convoluted, and yes, in the vast majority
cases, portmanager does the right thing.  However, for this one (in my
experience, at least), it couldn't handle it.  I don't remember removing
the nvidia drivers, but I think I reinstalled portions of the XOrg
subsystem, in particular the libs.  As I said, though, I don't remember
exactly how I got it all working again...

Not much help, I'm afraid - I just wanted to point the OP at the threads
on the other list (which I read only sporadically) in case they proved
helpful.

As to whether it's fixed yet, I really couldn't say - I belong firmly in
the camp of end users, not developers or testers.

A big thanks for portmanager - it's nice not to have to wrestle with the
package db all the time!

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \