After Firefox upgrade, browser no longer prints without CUPS

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at comcast.net
Fri Dec 2 20:07:57 PST 2005

On Fri 2 Dec 05 16:43, Micah <micahjon at ywave.com> wrote:
> Joshua Tinnin wrote:

> >>Did you try printing using the "postscript/default" printer?  If
> >> that is broken, the "properties" button on the print window should
> >> allow you to specify lpd as the print command.
> >
> > Yes, I tried this, although lpd is the daemon, right? It's already
> > running through lpd_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf, in any event. I
> > used lpr. It tells me the paper size is not supported by the
> > printer (8.5"x11"), which is definitely not true.
>
> You're right, I meant lpr.  And something is wrong with FireFox's
> printer handling.  I used to have two printers setup in FireFox (and
> Mozilla before), one for the default printer (lpr) and one for
> kprinter (both are the same physical printer, just different
> frontends to it). FireFox 1.5 added the cups printer and now FireFox
> seems to be having trouble telling which printer is which.  Clicking
> on propterties for PostScript/Default shows me the propterties for
> PostScript/kprinter, and PostScript/kprinter's properties shows me
> PostScript/Default.  Odd.  The settings in prefs.js look fine.

Well, there's yet another update for Firefox. Don't have time to look it
over at the moment, but am going to portupgrade it and see what
happens. I may have borked ghostscript the last time I updated it
(missed ijs, which my printer needs, but I recompiled and reinstalled
it), so I reinstalled it and then reinstalled apsfilter. Didn't seem to
help, and not sure why Firefox would need correct printer drivers at
compile time, but will see what transpires after this next update.

- jt