PAE not recognizing all RAM

Mike Barnard mike at bleeding-head.com
Fri Dec 2 15:04:16 PST 2005

    Hi, all. I have a fairly beefy server (Dell PowerEdge 8450,
8-processor 700 Mhz Xeon, 32GB RAM) I'm testing with FreeBSD. I got a
6.0-RELEASE kernel compiled with both SMP and PAE (the only catch was
that the hptmv driver breaks the compile with SMP, but that's OK as I
don't need it), but for some reason the kernel is only seeing 3.5G of
RAM or thereabouts, judging from what I see in dmesg anyway:

CPU: Intel Pentium III Xeon (700.07-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x6a1  Stepping = 1

Features=0x383fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE>
real memory  = 3758096384 (3584 MB)
avail memory = 3676594176 (3506 MB)
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 8 CPUs

    The memory line displayed in "top" reflects similar values. Is there
some magic I need to do to make it see all the RAM?