install freebsd with usb keyboard

Dan O'Connor dan at ferrarishields.com
Fri Dec 2 15:02:16 PST 2005

> I'm trying to install 5.4 with a usb keyboard.  I saw the suggestion
> below on freebsd.org, however the keyboard doesn't work to
> allow me to select option 7.
> Any suggestions?

If you can't use your USB keyboard at the Boot Menu (which is where the
infamous "Option 7" is), then your BIOS doesn't support the USB
keyboard.

Can you enter your BIOS setup program using the USB keyboard?

If not, you'll have to boot with a PS/2 keyboard, and install FreeBSD.
Then, add the line

         hint.atkbd.0.flags="0x1"

to your /boot/device.hints file.

After that, you can remove the PS/2 keyboard and use the USB keyboard...

~Dan