Gnome upgrade - screen lock no longer works

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Fri Dec 2 10:17:39 PST 2005

--On Friday, December 02, 2005 18:55:42 +0100 Hans Nieser <hans at nieser.net>
wrote:

> Paul Schmehl wrote:
>> I just upgraded Gnome to 2.12 (FreeBSD 5.4) using the gnome_upgrade
>> script. Now screen locking is no longer working, and I'm not seeing
>> anything in the logs to explain it.  Anyone have any ideas how to
>> troubleshoot this? Logging out and back in constantly is a PITA.
>
> I vaguely remember getting something like that and it had something to do
> with D-BUS, have you enabled D-BUS? (Instructions are in the FAQ)

I don't see anything in the FAQ about D-BUS.

One other thing.  I now have two  Screensaver selections under
Desktop/Preferences.  One has the old icon (screen with the red fire in
front of it), and when I open that one, it says "The XScreenSaver daemon
doesn't seem to be running on display ":0.0".  Launch it now?

If I click on OK, it starts up and the screensaver works, but screenlock
still does not.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas