LDAP, NFS, and automount

Benjamin J Doherty bjd at swyc.org
Fri Dec 2 07:06:40 PST 2005

Friends:

I want to put my user's home directories on separate servers/disks
and mount them on multiple servers as my users' home directories. I'm
using LDAP for authentication and name switching (NSS) already on
FreeBSD 5.4. (One client is at 6.0.)

I know this is discussed in countless HOWTOs and docs on the web, but
these are usually for Linux.  Can someone please point me to some
resources that can make this happen?  Does The Handbook's chapter on
NFS cover all I need to know in that area?  Can I expect any hassles
to come from the fact that the host with the home directories is a
Linux based network attached storage device?

Thanks for any help,

Benjamin Doherty
Chicago