Help deriving a corrupted disklabel

Doug H illusion65 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 14:02:52 GMT 2005

Hi Anish,

Thanks for the reply -- scan_ffs did exactly what I needed it to do!

For those who encounter a similar problem (damaged disklabel on a FreeBSD
slice), it's not as simple as one might hope, since I was limited to the
"Fixit" shell on the FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE CD.

scan_ffs is not on the CD, which makes it much more difficult (configuring
networking, obtaining it via ftp, unpacking the package, etc., since
'pkg_add -r' doesn't work in a Fixit shell).  Setup was most of the work!
Once I had a usable copy of scan_ffs, the rest was simple.

Thanks again for the help.  Without it, I'm sure I'd still be struggling to
use dd and grep to locate magic numbers using a shell script.

Doug