devices are automatically created at boot(how about pseudo devices e.g; carp)?

Glenn Dawson glenn at antimatter.net
Thu Dec 1 19:48:24 PST 2005

At 07:32 PM 12/1/2005, Mark Jayson Alvarez wrote:
>Hi,
>    Do I have to  write a script that contains let's say:
>  #!/bin/sh
>  ifconfig carp0 create
>

>  then add a line in my rc.conf that looks like this:
>  ifconfig_carp0="vhid 1 pass mypasswd 192.168.0.1/24"
>
>  or is there a place where I can do them both at the same time?

from the carp man page:

A carp interface can be created at runtime using the ifconfig carpN
create command or by configuring it via cloned_interfaces in the
/etc/rc.conf file.

so, using something like:

cloned_interfaces="carp0"

in your rc.conf would create the device at boot time.  From there,
you would just configure it like any other network interface.

-Glenn