Questions about make arguments for ports

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Thu Dec 1 13:39:50 PST 2005

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 13:00, Ashley Moran wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When upgrading a machine from FreeBSD 5.4 to 6.0 I came across the problem
> of how to re-compile all the ports to use FreeBSD 6 libraries so I can
> ditch the compat5x port.

Actually you can ditch it anyway, all of the library are either part of 6.0 or
left behind from 5.4, but it's good to rebuild.

> man portupgrade I should # portupgrade -aRf to force a re-compile but that

The trouble with  portupgrade -af is that it is not restartable. I'd use
either the latest portmanager, or  something like:
portupgrade -f  '<2005-11-30 20:37'     See pkg_glob(1)

> then brought up the issue of how to configure each build.  I found the
> section in pkgtools.conf that lets you specify arguments to pass to make
> but how do I deal with ports that have a config make target?
>
> I mean I could add MAKE_ARGS = { 'java/jdk115' => 'WITHOUT_WEB=1' } to
> pkgtools.conf, but is there a way to specify these arguments in this file,
> or is there no choice but to configure manually first time?

If you use BATCH=yes, most ports will do their best to come up with sensible
settings based on the arguments you supply.