FreeBSD telnetd and Microsoft Internet Explorer

Peter Clutton peterclutton at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 04:26:00 PST 2005

On 12/1/05, Stevan Tiefert <stevan.tiefert at freenet.de> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 1. Dezember 2005 06:37 schrieb Peter Clutton:
> Thanks for your off-topic message... You helped very well to solve a
> problem. :-(

Well actually I did help solve the problem, because the problem is
most likely your client. It is impossible for anyone to look at what
else could be causing problems, when your particular client in known
to have very major problems. It's not that it's windows, we help here
alot to connect the two, but the ftp client in particular, just plain
out doesn't work.

>There are many ftp-sites
> where IE can access them without problems.

I beg to differ, and so would anybody else who uses ftp on a regular
basis. Do what i did today on my Win2k machine with IE and firefox and
go to the site http://www.ftp-sites.org/
Find a locale near you, and go down the first 20 (or 100 if you have
time) on the list and tell me how many work with IE and how many with
Firefox. I got a 20 - 0 in favor of Firefox. In all cases i had to
ctr-alt-del the IE because it failed. I mean it just isn't normal or
acceptable for software to completely crash that often.

Here's another one i had to ctl-alt-del for IE: ftp://ftp.windows.com
 . Works great out of Firefox! Pretty funny really.

The point is you are asking us in our free time to chase a wild goose,
because you're using a known broken ftp implementation. Someone might
be more inclined if you suggested just about any other ftp client.