Update 5.4 -> 6.0

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Dec 1 00:17:04 PST 2005

Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> It's my suspicion that updating 5.4 to 6.0 via CVSup leaves alot of old
> libraries in place. Is this anywhere near correct?
>
> I updated my system recently thus, using the steps in
> /usr/src/UPDATING, but now when updating the ports (I am yet to
> try out portupgrade -a), I see such output as:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: libcrypt.so.2, needed by /usr/local/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so, may conflict with libcrypt.so.3
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: libz.so.2, needed by /usr/local/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so, may conflict with libz.so.3
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: libc.so.5, needed by /usr/local/lib/libsasl2.so.2, may conflict with libc.so.6
>
> What does these suggest?
>
> Is there an easy way to fix them?

Yes.  You need to run:

    portupgrade -fa

ie. recompile all of your installed software, so that it links against
the up to date system libraries.

Software compiled under 5.x will almost definitely still run perfectly
well when the box is upgraded to 6.0, but as soon as you start installing
new software or upgrading some packages you'll start running into library
version conflicts.  Re-installing wholesale will prevent that.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Flat 3
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW