groff alternative?

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Fri Apr 29 15:51:45 PDT 2005

Peter Jeremy wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-Apr-29 00:55:41 +0100, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
>

>>Since no-one had a sensible answer, why not try a version of original
>>nroff from say 4.3BSD.  Hunting around, I found this:
>>http://www.tuhs.org/.  Hopefully the most used macros will have stayed
>>the same.
>>

>Actually, they haven't.  The FreeBSD man pages are written using mdoc(7),
>not man(7).  The current version of mdoc(7) in FreeBSD needs long names -
>which are supported by ditroff and groff but not the older nroff.

Ever a sucker for punishment, I downloaded 4.3bsd nroff and pretty much
it seems to work*.  This is on 4.11.  The tmac.an macros load tmac.doc.
There may be some new macros defined since the days of 4.3 but I doubt
anything critical has changed.

Peter, did you mean that the macro definition file uses long
definitions?  If so, I don't think that matters since I proposed using
the original tman.an/tmac.doc macros which would obviously be
compatible.   Just that new man pages might use a macro which wasn't
defined in those old definitions files.

A tar.gz is a massive 124K (source only) so, Emanuel, if you want to try
it I can mail it to you.  (It was you asked the original question,
wasn't it?)

* I have formatted a massive 3 random manual pages, and got one bad
definition, but the page viewed fine.

If anyone cares to repeat the feat, I used the 4.3BSD-Reno src.  I
needed src.tar.gz and usr.tar.gz form which I extracted usr.bin/roff,
libdata/term/tablpr, libdata/term and share/tmac.  I put the whole thing
under /usr/local/43bsd, fixed a couple pathname.h files and wrote the
stupidest shell script because Makefiles created umpteen problems.  When
it all compiles in 5 seconds, makefiles are somewhat moot :-).  In
usr.bin/roff/nroff

    cc -c  -DNROFF -DVMUNIX -I../common_source *.c
    cd ../common_source
    cc -c  -DNROFF -DVMUNIX -I. *.c
    cd ../nroff
    cc -o nroff *.o ../common_source/*.o -lcompat

And fixed the hardwired pathnames in tmac.an.

The list of 4BSD archive sites is at
http://www.tuhs.org/archive_sites.html and I used the York/UK one.

--Alex

PS I have redirected back to questions where this thread started.
Doesn't seem that relevant to current.