UPDATE -- Re: PHP 4.3.11 core dumps

Mike Oliveri moliveri at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 11:57:19 PDT 2005

> I recently upgraded to PHP 4.3.11 from Ports on my 4.9-RELEASE system,
> and I'm suddenly having troubles running PHP. Whether we're talking a
> web app or running from a command line, I get core dump errors.
> Specifically:
>
> su-2.05b# php -i
> Bus error (core dumped)
>
> And in /var/log/messages when accessing a PHP page, even one with just
> phpinfo() in it:
> Apr 29 12:41:31 jules /kernel: pid 28369 (httpd), uid 80: exited on signal 10
>
> I've seen the bus error/core dumps there too. Any ideas what could be
> causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I downgraded to version 4.3.10 with a downloaded tgz package, and that
got me back up and running. I noticed an error talking about rc_subr
and expat not being current enough, so I upgraded both of those and
recompiled/reinstalled php4-4.3.11, but still no joy. Went back to
4.3.10 again and everything is working normally.

Is it possible there's a conflict in the kernel if I'm getting core dumps?

Take care,
Mike