NovaNet

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Fri Apr 29 09:24:01 PDT 2005

In the last episode (Apr 29), Damian Sobieralski said:
> I've got a question about backup software.  I recently started a new
> position and they already bought a backup package called "NovaNet"
>
> http://www.network-backup.com/datasheets/overview.html

I'm pretty sure NovaStor resells Yosemite's Tapeware product as
NovaNet, and Tapeware 7 does support FreeBSD:

http://www.yosemitetech.com/Support/os_support.htm

I don't know the NovNet<->Tapeware version number mappings, though, or
whether the platform support is the same.

> Anyways, a couple of questions-
>
> 1) Can anyone confirm if NovaNet supports a native FreeBSD backup node?
> 2) If no to 1, has anyone successfully used it in Linux compatability
> mode on a FreeBSD box?
>
>  And one more question:
>
> Can anyone sugguest a good networked backup solutions (server and
> client nodes paradigm) that works on various OS's?  The rest of our
> unit uses Vertitas but I don't know if they do FreeBSD and/or Linux.
> We seem to be the odd man out :( We have a Windows 2003 server backup
> master and I hope to have 2-3 FreeBSD client nodes.

Veritas NetBackup supports just about any OS you can think of, FreeBSD
and Linux included, but is a whole lot more expensive :)

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com