APSFilter/LPD printing slow

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Fri Apr 29 08:31:26 PDT 2005

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Ray Seals wrote:

> I'm running 5.3 on a Dell Precision 470 Pentium Xeon with a Gig of
> memory and SATA hard drives.  I'm printing to a networked LaserJet 5
> printer.  It takes about 40 seconds between pages when printing a
> multi-page document.  Does anyone know how to speed this up?  I doubt
> it's an APSFilter issue since the drive stops churning once the printer
> starts (I think it's finished formatting the file).

It may be that you are just seeing the time it takes the LJ5 to render
the PostScript.  The LJ5 PostScript interpreter is not very fast.
Depending on your print contents, sending PCL may be quicker.

'lpc status all' or lpq can show you when the job is finished sending to
the printer.  The disk light is probably not a good indicator, since
FreeBSD will have the spool file cached in RAM.