How to get rid of games ?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Apr 28 08:26:07 PDT 2005

Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD at keyslapper.net> writes:

> I find it highly improbable that the kernel would suddenly bonk if it
> can't amuse itself with a game or two while you're not looking, but
> these aren't really the kind of games that will keep people wasting
> time.  On top of that, they take up less than 4M of disk space, which
> might be considered less than negligible.
>
> Finally, keep in mind that fortune is used for some logins to present
> FreeBSD tips and hints.  And even after some 5 years using FreeBSD, I
> find these tips helpful from time to time.

The data for the fortunes seems to be most of the space taken up by
the "games" distribution.

We should also mention for the original poster's benefit that in 5.x,
all of the actual games have been removed from the base system, but
fortune(6), primes(6), random(6), and so on are still there (and still
referred to as "games", even though they really aren't).