256 MB not enough RAM for Desktop-FreeBSD, a strange experience

Jorn Argelo jorn at wcborstel.nl
Thu Apr 28 06:18:26 PDT 2005

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:59:18 +0200, Freek Nossin wrote
> Hello list-member :)
>
> I had the same experience with OpenOffice. I do have the same amount
> of RAM, but I think it is not related to the size the machine's
> memory, UNLESS the use of virtual memory is a problem. The thing is,
> the 256 of RAM is often used for 100% on my system and therefor it
> has to swap a lot. OO.org didn't even start in XFCE properly on my
> machine and I too couldn't kill the process. Even with kill -9.
> Unfortunately nobody was able to help, I did sent a message over
> this list but nobody came up with the cause of the problem or a
> solution. I do think it is BSD related because the process was
> unkillable. If you find the cause, or even better a solution, to
> this problem I'd like to hear about it.

I am running FreeBSD with KDE 3.4 and OOo on a P3 700MHz with 192 MB ram.
It's not really great performance, but it works all right. And it's not even
swapping that much. Ok, it swaps for about 100MB, but it's still doing fine.
And if I use XFCE in combination with OOo it performs just fine. It doesn't
even need to swap. Ok, my AMD64 with 1 gig ram works better, but hey, it's
workable.

So it's not always BSD who is to blame ;)