crash dump

Wei Chong weichong78 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 05:52:45 PDT 2005

Hi,

I compiled my FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE kernel with
options KDB, DDB
makeoptions DEBUG="-g"

and wrote a kernel module that does nothing but call
panic() upon its loading, to try experimenting on
crash kernel debugger and crash dump.
Upon kldload the module, KDB was invoked and I was
dropped into a console debugger that let me see the
backtrace by typing "where".
However, when I typed "panic" as suggested by the FAQ,
it doesn't dump anything to my swap device.  Only by
typing "call doadump" in the KDB that it does the job.

I wonder why?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Yours truly,