Converting mkv to avi ?

Marc Fonvieille blackend at freebsd.org
Thu Apr 28 05:26:29 PDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 02:12:47PM +0200, edward wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have several mkv files (Matroska video) that I would like to convert
> to avi. Any idea what software I should use to do that (I'm under KDE) ?

mkv and avi are both video container.  You should be able to quickly
"change" the container with mencoder (part of MPlayer):

mencoder video.mkv -ovc copy -oac copy -o video.avi

well MPlayer must be compiled with mastroka support, and the result may
be "weird" if the .mkv use many audio channels etc.
It may be a better option to extract both video and audio part and remux
them.  Look at multimedia/mkvtoolnix, transcode and/or mencoder.

Marc