Open tty limit of 32?

nocturnal nocturnal at swehack.se
Wed Apr 27 14:16:16 PDT 2005

Hi

Recently, helping a friend setup a shellserver, i noticed some kind of
limit on the number of open ttys. I count 32 open ttys by remote users
before users start getting locked out. Any user trying to login after
"ls -la /dev/tty* | grep -v wheel | wc -l" starts returning 32 get the
following message along with a distorted terminal that is completly locked.
"Warning: no access to tty (Bad file descriptor)."

There are random users using ttys, some two ttys and others maybe more
but it's always 32 open. I almost wanted to post this on hackers because
i've searched the net like a maniac without answers and no one on irc
could answer me. I've also tried searching through the src/sys for
anything defined to 32.
--

Med vänliga hälsningar

Stefan Midjich aka nocturnal