Questions about processes

Lord Raiden me at raiden.net
Tue Apr 26 14:38:54 PDT 2005

>These are kernel threads. 5.x is more modular than 4.x and a lot
>of functionality has been moved to internal threads (for the sake
>of SMP). There's really nothing wrong with this; esp. since the
>number of threads is still pretty small :)
>
>The kernel may create more such threads if it needs them; like e.g.
>when using GBDE or so.

         AH!  So that explains those.  Cool.  Good info to know.  ^_^  Is
there a benefit to these threads being modular if I might ask?  I'm sure
there is, but I'm just curious what they might be.  And I didn't think they
took up all that much processor, so I wasn't so worried about that.  It
just kinda surprised me when I saw that huge list of processes when I
listed them.  hehe.

>I'm using the same hardware here. It is more than fast enough for this.
>Don't worry about those kernel threads, which are idle most of the time.
>The CPU time they consume would have been used up in 4.x too (as system
>time), you would just not see it with ps there as you can see it here.

         heh.  Yeah, I'm still breaking this one in, but it's been a
fabulous trooper so far and I think it's really going to do a lot of honor
to our old server that's being retired after many, many fine years of
service.  :D

         Thanks again for the info.  Curiousity can lead to learning a lot
of cool things.  I know I certainly learned a bunch from this!! ^_^

Steven Lake
-Owner/Webmaster
Raiden's Realm
www.raiden.net

Come see "Monk" the comic strip and laugh till you die!  :)
http://www.raiden.net/Monk/