looking for a good sata or scsi raid 0/1 controller

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Mon Apr 25 17:33:44 PDT 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 12:22:15 +0200, in sentex.lists.freebsd.hardware
you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm looking for a good raid controller, with good driver support,
>something I could really rely on !
>

>I have some problems with my 3ware 8006-2 on freebsd 5.3 branch.
>Actually the box is a p4-3000 hyperthreaded, the 3ware card is running
>raid1 with 2 maxtor 80go drives. Acually the traffic on the card is less
>than 2 MB/s.

>When the number of transactions/s a value around 70, the controller
>seems to "lag", the average time par transaction can be more than 10
>seconds ! The box also reboot at random intervals giving no messages in
>the logs.

I have a couple of 3ware cards on RELENG_5 and they dont show such
behaviour under load.  I would start by turning off Hyperthreading as
that only really works if you are using the ULE scheduler and thats
broken under RELENG_5.  Try rebuilding a uniprocessor kernel and see
if the problem is still there.  Also, enable crash dumps on the box to
see if it's a bug or not.  Rarely have I seen random reboots with no
crash dump be a software issue.  See
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html
for info on how to enable crash dumps.

I would also update to 5.4 as there are a number of bug fixes you
might benefit from depending on how old your build is.

	---Mike