cvsup hang problem and X question

benchmark zslist at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 10:03:23 PDT 2005

Basic info: FreeBSD 5.3

I have been trying to use cvsup to sync up my ports, but it seems to
hang everytime, see the following...

rainier# cvsup -L 2 -h cvsup10.FreeBSD.org /root/ports-supfile
Parsing supfile "/root/ports-supfile"
Connecting to cvsup10.FreeBSD.org
Connected to cvsup10.FreeBSD.org
Server software version: SNAP_16_1h
Negotiating file attribute support
Exchanging collection information
Network read failure: Connection timed out

typical port operations such as make install, etc all worked fine.

I suspect that this has something to do with my network, but couldn't
figure out why. I have a DHCP setup, with my box being a dhcp client.
However, i did set up the name of the host as 'rainier'.

rainier# hostname
rainier.sbcglobal.com
rainier# host rainier.sbcglobal.com
Host rainier.sbcglobal.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
rainier#

Any suggestions? (most other network functions work fine, www, ping, etc)

Another question is that my box is a thinkpad t40, and it won't do
more than 1024 x 768. Though i have set it up with 1280x1024 with
linux (suse) on it easily. Is there any drivers that i need to
upgrade?

I am trying to move away from suse/linux, but my experience so far
hasn't been so great.....

thanks.