Stuck in bootstrapping hell - how do I troubleshoot?

Chris Zumbrunn chris at czv.com
Sun Apr 24 00:24:51 PDT 2005

On Apr 23, 2005, at 3:54 PM, Chris Zumbrunn wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2005, at 1:27 PM, <bob at a1poweruser.com> wrote:
>
>> Turn off power management in PC bios and try again.
>
> Thanks, I'll try that.

When this happend to me before, I fdisk'ed, disklabel'ed,
atacontrol'ed, sysinstall'ed, dd'ed, newfs'ed, boot0cfg'ed and
disktab'ed ferociously until the problem went away and I had no idea
why.

So, this time I want to go about it less ferociously in order to find
out what the problem actually is. So, if in the future this happens
again - and I'm in a hurry -  I'll know how to fix it quickly.

As soon as someone goes to the datacenter, we'll see what the console
is saying and we'll try disabling the power management in the bios
(can't do that remotely either).

/czv