mplayer/mplayer-plugin question

Miguel Mendez flynn at energyhq.es.eu.org
Sat Apr 23 12:29:58 PDT 2005

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:14:56 -0500
"Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7 at cox.net> wrote:

> >> Personally, I'd love to see /usr/X11R6 folded into /usr/local, but until
> >> then, I think it's nothing short of retarded for apps to install into
> >> unusual locations to prove a point.
> >
> > It might be interesting looking at the work the pkgsrc people have done
> > wrt $PREFIX enforcement. On my NetBSD boxen xorg lives under
> > /usr/pkg/xorg and all packages are installed under /usr/pkg, not
> > /usr/X11R6 or /usr/local.
>
> I disagree with NetBSD's PREFIX. I would go with the global prefix,
> /usr/local. 85% of configure has the /usr/local by default and FreeBSD
> already has /usr/local (to kill the colour discussions), so all we have to
> do is remove /usr/X11R6. Before you ask how we can test if the port is
> respect the prefix, we should be able to find out very easy when you work
> with pkg-plist by follow the porter handbook.

I wasn't advocating the use of /usr/pkg, but rather the way they
enforce it for every package. I personally don't mind what the prefix
is called, but for the sake of POLA /usr/local would certainly serve
FreeBSD better. FWIW, well behaved software should always be $PREFIX
clean.

On an unrelated note, I also find their buildlink system pretty
interesting, and have meant to have a more in depth look at it for a
while but, as always, there's only so much stuff you can do in 24 hours.

Cheers,
--
Miguel Mendez <flynn at energyhq.es.eu.org>
http://www.energyhq.es.eu.org