special characters and how they are represented

Michael W. Oliver michael at gargantuan.com
Fri Apr 22 06:36:17 PDT 2005

On 2005-04-22T18:16:24+0900, Joel wrote:
>> 1) ls --> this shows "M?tley_Cr?e" as directory name
>> 2) ls | more --> this looks right, with umlaut over o and u
>> 3) ls M<TAB> --> this shows "M\366tley_Cr\374e" (backslash366 &
>>    backslash374, respectively), using csh as my shell w/set complete and
>>    set autolist

>> my question is... why the differences?
>
> Well, I could guess that the CD file system uses one encoding and your
> OS uses another and each application makes different assumptions?

well, the CD just contains the music, not any textual information.  i
was using ripit.pl to do the ripping/encoding, so it created the dir
automatically with information retrieved from CDDB.

>> is there a way to force
>> consistent behavior across all three scenarios?
>
> Probably take a little work in your LOCALEs, may not be completely
> successful.

yes, you pointed me in the right direction.  my earlier google searches
were missing that word -- locale.  with an improved search, i found the
following handbook page:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/using-localization.html

and it had all of the answers.  in short, i changed my ~/.login_conf to
read:

me:\
        :charset=iso-8859-1:\
        :lang=en_US.ISO8859-1:

and i now have consistent behavior and character representation.

thanks much for the hint!

--
Mike Oliver
[see complete headers for contact information]