Can't build ports on older FreeBSD machine

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu Apr 21 22:28:10 PDT 2005

owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:10:04 -0600
> Brett Glass <brett at lariat.org> wrote
>

> What you are asking for is something you can (sort of) get most of the
> time from Apple or RedHat. If it's that important for you to be able
> to keep your hands out of the code, I recommend either one. Just
> recognize that the cost of the software is part of what's paying the
> developers to
> make it easy for you to keep track of what works and what doesn't.
>
> And, until you try to keep track of it yourself, so that you
> understand it ain't nearly as trivial as you keep saying it is, well,
> you're going to have a hard time selling your point of view here.

You know,

  This discussion is a bit silly.  The entire reason for the ports
directories
and ports manager is to act as a crutch for people.  But there is no
reason
that with any FreeBSD system that you cannot just download the source for
whatever package you want and build it from the instructions the
developer
wrote.  Ports are not in any way shape or form, a requirement.

  When you are building using the ports directories what you end up with
is software that is configured the way the person who wrote the port in
the beginning thought would be the best way.  That doesen't necessairly
mean that's the best way for YOU.

Ted