MSDOSFS_LARGE option -- problem solved

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Apr 20 14:31:17 PDT 2005

Brian M. Kincaid wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My "problem" with mounting a FAT32 80GB disk disappeared after I
> removed from my kernel config file
>
> option MSDOSFS_LARGE
>
> and replaced it with
>
> option MSDOSFS
>
> Thanks to those who responded to my earlier post.
>
> Brian

Hmm, maybe so.  The MSDOSFS_LARGE option
was quoted as:

   "The MSDOSFS_LARGE kernel option has been added to support FAT32 file
   systems bigger than 128GB. This option is disabled by default. It uses at
   least 32 bytes of kernel memory for each file on disk; furthermore it is
   only safe to use in certain controlled situations, such as read-only
mount
   with less than 1 million files and so on. Exporting these large file
   systems over NFS is not supported."

         in the 5.3-RELNOTES.

Unfortunately, I didn't read that before I put a 200 GB drive in my
USB enclosure and formatted it as FAT32, thinking that it would
work well no matter what box I hooked it to.  If only I could hack
C....

Kevin Kinsey