FreeBSD vs Linux

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Apr 20 13:20:46 PDT 2005

Ash wrote:

> koen de wijs wrote:
>

>> Could anyone give me a good site that describes the differences
>> between FreeBSD and Linux?
>>

> This is a good place to start:
>
> http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php

That's an excellent article, and I wonder if the Powers That Be couldn't
simply put the mail through one more script that would simply send that
link (and then refuse further deliver) to any one of the 2 to 4 dozen people
per month who post with such a subject line to $LISTNAME at freebsd.org....

Anyway, thank you Matt, for taking time to write that one.....

To the O.P.: I get 3/4 of a million returns from your subject line
when I enter it at www.google.com.  There are some classics
there that you should definitely look into, including Jeremy Zawodny's
comparison using MySQLon both OS's, the TechTV episode with Matt
Olander and Murray Stokely, and a paper Murray has/had at his freebsd.org
webspace.

Many of these are also archived mailing list threads, some (many!)
from these lists, so you can see just what kind of "can of worms" you
have attempted to open ;-) (regardless of intent; I bear no ill wil either;
etc.; etc.; YMMV; include #disclaimer.h; ...).

<<snip>>

> In any case, I hope you find a solution that works for you.
>
> -Ash

I'll hope so, too.  To the O.P., grandad used to say that "anything worth
having is worth working for ..."; however, I understand the potential issues
involved, I think.  Use what makes you happiest, if happiness comes from
such a trivial thing as O.S. choice.  I would suggest that you'll spend more
time and effort trying to ascertain how much time and effort you'll save
with
one vs. the other than if you just picked one or the other and installed
it.  But
that can depend on what it is exactly you do.  If you are an "efficiency
expert",
feel free to publish a whitepaper; one more fellow harping on "TCO" should
be just about right, I think .... ;-)

> [1] I admit that I haven't used sysinstall(8) for this purpose in
> years, as I
> prefer to cvsup base and ports after installing a bare system and go
> from there.

After using sysinstall for the base system, with a little reading up on
shell scripting, you can set up your own "install wizard" and run it
from a floppy, cross a reboot and take a day off while the
server/desktop/whatever box sets itself up....

I'm trying it, myself.

Kevin Kinsey