FreeBSD vs Linux

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Wed Apr 20 10:16:29 PDT 2005

koen de wijs wrote:
> Hello folks,
>

> I'm new to unix. This year I tried FreeBSD. Some friend of mine adviced
> FreeBSD. I think it works great. Only one thing that I don't like is
> that you will need to know a lot to setup a lot of basic stuff.
> I want to try out Linux. I heard it is more user friendly and the basic
> stuff will be set up during installation.
>
> I really don't like the sysinstall menu. It is really unlogically. Why
> isn't there a desktop and a server installation?
>

> Could anyone give me a good site that describes the differences between
> FreeBSD and Linux?
>

> Koen
> (I don't want to start a flame war, only some good sites)

If you are not finding FreeBSD suitable based on what you have said,
then FreeBSD is NOT for you.

The developers are not here to design an OS that is to en compus the
users that want everything done for you. You have to have a certain
level of knowledge to do FreeBSD, and to do it well.

If you want easy (numbingly boring) then both Windows and Linux (some
distros - not all) are for you.

Don't expect things to change just because they "seem" to inconvenience
YOU. Either YOU adapt, or YOU move on.

Just like if you hear a song on the radio - if you don't like, you
change the station.

Pretty simple. Now - as to the differences - go a Google search on
FreeBSD vs Linux.

--
Best regards,
Chris

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the
strong, but that's the way to bet.