Setting Up a X Server

Kees Plonsz spam at jeremino.homeunix.net
Wed Apr 20 09:18:33 PDT 2005

Mick Walker wrote on Wednesday 20 April 2005 11:06 in the group list.freebsd.questions:

> Hello everyone;
>
> I am looking for information on how to setup a remote X server.
>
> This is my setup:
>
> Internet.
> |
> FreeBSD Gateway (Running Xorg)
> |
> 8 Port hub ----> Wireless Base Station
> |
> 6 machines, Various Operating Systems
>
> What I wish to be able to do is setup the 6 client machines to be able
> to access the X server running on the gateway.
> I have looked at the gdm configuration manager, and it allows a option
> for remote connections, but I am unsure of the exact procedure I would
> use to connect to this from one of the client systems. The one I am
> mostly concerned with is my FreeBSD laptop.
> Do I need to create some 'virtual screens' to enable more than one X
> session to be run on the machine at once?
>
> I have also tried acomplising this using Xvnc, however when I try to
> start the server I get the error message:
>
> [root at codegurus]# /usr/local/bin/Xvnc
>
> Fatal server error:
> Server is already active for display 0
>         If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
>         and start again.
>
> I still wish the local X server to be able to be run, so I am unsure how
> I can proceed.
>
> I hope someone can help.

You have to startup more than one Xvnc server.
I use the wrapper:
# vncserver :1
# vncserver :2
etc....

Then start on the client machine the "remote desktop connection"
It is included in the KDE desktop
You can connect to "vncservername:1" and "vncservername:2" etc...
I just tested this and my 100 Mhz pentium got very busy :-)

--
Key-ID = A6581435          E-mail address is valid